Orland Unified School District

Earn a Certificate of Proficiency

Earn a Certificate of Proficiency iconEarn a Certificate of Proficiencytitle

If you are eligible, you can earn a Certificate of Proficiency by passing the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). The examination assesses your proficiency in the basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills taught in public schools. If you pass the examination, the California State Board of Education will award you a Certificate of Proficiency, which by state law is equivalent to a high school diploma (although not equivalent to completing all coursework required for regular graduation from high school).

Dropping out of school after registering for the CHSPE or while awaiting results is unlawful for those under 18 years old. It may also result in failing grades for courses in which you are enrolled.
Eligibility to Take the CHSPE

Eligibility to Take the CHSPE iconEligibility to Take the CHSPEtitle

You may take the CHSPE only if, on the test date, you:
  • are at least 16 years old, or
  • have been enrolled in the tenth grade for one academic year or longer, or
  • will complete one academic year of enrollment in the tenth grade at the end of the semester during which the next regular administration will be conducted.