All OUSD school libraries have computers for student use. By federal law (Children's Internet Protection Act
), the parent or guardian must receive a copy of the Internet Acceptable Use Policy and must sign and return an Acceptable Use Agreement before a student will be allowed access to the Internet at school.
The Acceptable Use policy and agreement address the following issues:
- access by minors to inappropriate matter on the Internet
- the safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications
- unauthorized access, including so-called "hacking," and other unlawful activities by minors online
- unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors
- restricting minors' access to materials harmful to them